In this episode of Roam + Golightly: A Podcast For Creative Adventurers, I get into it with Melissa Cripe, a filmmaker with an eye for all things odd and wonderful. Think of her as your rad friend with an eye for punchy, cool color like you would not believe! Our conversation was not only intensely inspirational, but one that was incredibly insightful. As someone who navigates the churning waters of the online creative world, hear us talk about the good stuff, including a look behind Melissa's recent rebrand that reflects her love for the absurd, jazz, the lovely and wild and strange. Seriously guys, Melissa is a GEM and I still find myself referring to her observations on staying honest with ourselves when sharing our creative work and avoiding the need to please.
Love it? Make sure to subscribe on iTunes and leave us a review. The more comments, the easier it is for other creative adventurers (like yourself) to find what we do!
TOPICS DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Taking ownership of wanting to try all art forms
- Melissa’s weird and wonderful Los Angeles favorites (Bunny museuems? Oh yes!)
- Her story behind hanging mediums for the sake of personal inspiration
- Why exercising the creative muscle is incredibly beneficial when seeking inspiration
- Being a weekend creative warrior
- A look inside Melissa’s rebrand to reflect new changes and tastes in her life
- Having deeper level of conversation amongst artists... instead of living in the “fluff” of a happy go-lucky branding
- The need to please vs. the honest truth in our artistic hearts
- Abolishing the need to feel fulfilled through numbers and followers
- Drawing inspiration from real people and conversations, observing the creative moments and sparks of ideas from honest experiences
- Melissa’s tips for finding inspiration and thinking outside of the box while staying true to who you are
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Melissa’s Tumblr post announcing her change
- With the Locals Los Angeles Guide
- Ban.do & Jen Gotch
- "Show Your Work: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered" by Austin Kleon
- "Steal Like An Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative" by Austin Kleon
- Iris Apfel’s documentary "Iris"