"Create With Reckless Abandon" With Mattie Tiegreen
In this episode of Roam + Golightly: A Podcast For Creative Adventurers, I have one of the most amazing chats with Mattie Tiegreen, the branding, web design and creative director gal dreams are made of. As the co-founder of Gather, a workshop to educate, encourage and support other creative entreprenuers, Mattie is well stocked with ammunition to get you inspired and welcomed in the creative industry. This episode is perfect for anyone looking to create intentional, meaningful work for themselves (not for the buyer in mind) or anyone needing to give themselves grace in their artistic process.
Inspired? Feeling adventurous? Make sure to subscribe on iTunes and leave us a review. The more comments, the easier it is for other creative adventurers (like yourself) to find what we do!
TOPICS DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The crazy seasons in our life and the need to be intentional about our time
- Branding’s “branding” and how Mattie describes her job as a brand designer, bringing her clients’ ideas to life and putting a face to their inspiration
- Creating with reckless abandon, without a need for praise or a need to sell and how avoiding the pressure to make money off of her art made it easier for her to hone her skills
- Showing personality through deeper shares and avoiding the fluff
- Mattie's artistic process by truly her taste in design, the textures and colors she loves and including these aspects into her work
- Being self taught through mindlessly learning her art form as an escape after a long day at work
- Having an analogue desk separate from her digital desk to spark her imagination instead of spending hours in front of a computer screen
- Her creative community workshop "Gather" and how it all began
- Cultivating a creative community of women who understand the ins and outs of wanting to live a creative life
- Her advice for working creatives to keep their spark alive (which is such a goodie!)
- Why we need to stop yelling at your art and giving ourselves grace in our artistic process
- Investing in something outside of your creative work can fuel our inspiration
RESOURCES AND OTHER GOOD STUFF MENTIONED:
- Elizabeth Gilbert's "Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear"
- Austin Kleon's "Steal Like An Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative"
- Austin Kleon's "Steal Like An Artist Journal: A Notebook for Creative Kleptomaniacs"
- Keri Smith's "How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum"