Come hang out with me as I chat with Bri Lamkin, a photographer and singer songwriter turned collage artist who's smart and minimalist-vintage pieces are guaranteed to get your gears turning. Together we're talking about her creative beginnings, her process in composing unique stories through her art, what's inspiring her lately and how allowing herself to be her own type of artist has freed her inspiration.
Inspired? Feeling adventurous? Make sure to subscribe and leave us a review.
EACH COMMENT MAKES IT EASIER FOR OTHER CREATIVE ADVENTURERS (LIKE YOURSELF) TO FIND WHAT WE DO!
TOPICS DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE
- Her start dabbling into creativity with photography and how she stumbled upon collage through a sketchbook/collagebook activity with friends
- Sketchbook has a unique reflection for each artists
- Bri's mother's background in film photography and how observing her make film portraits inspired her to start doing photo shoots with friends and eventually take classes
- Knowing her strengths and weaknesses and how finding creative outlets that allow her to play with her strengths
- Her process in creating collage, sometimes structured and intentionally thought out and other times completely swept away by pieces she finds
- Searching for the perfect images in collage and the internal battle to compromise vs. not compromise
- The resources Bri sources for creating her collages (listed below) and her love for hunting around estate sales for vintage magazines
- Vintage color and design and how estate sales fuels her inspiration
- Bri's desire to make people laugh and see the irony in her pieces
- Her collage class and how being in a motivating place to share work and be prompted to create keeps her inspired and refreshed
- Bri's other creative venture with singing and songwriting
- Collaborating with her sisters on performing songs she's written
- Her advice for anyone wishing to try a new art form: allow yourself to be your own artist
- Bri's Collage Book Issue 01 (sold out!)
- Craigslist for Vintage Magazine: Better Homes & Gardens Magazine, Life Magazine, American Home Magazine
- Bri's musical interests right now: Regina Spektor, Bon Iver, Sucre, Beyonce, Kanye West